We are Kelly and Erin, a mother/daughter duo who are becoming increasingly obsessed with all things Christmas, and who are inspired by stories of people who have turned their passions into thriving small businesses that support their local communities.
(I’m looking at you, Bredbo Christmas Barn)!
Having relocated from Canberra to Merimbula in January, we feel incredibly privileged to finally be able to live in this beautiful part of the world, and we are very grateful to our friends and the broader community for your support and kindness, and for making us feel so welcome.
My original Merry & Bright idea was to spend some of our leisure time crafting Christmas decorations to sell at the local markets during the school holidays, and to give my daughter an opportunity to make some pocket money, so she can fulfil her lifelong dream of becoming a reptile zoo keeper, paleontologist and shop keeper.
However, shortly after we arrived in town I was fortunate enough to attend the Merimbula Chamber of Commerce Town Summit, held in February 2021.
Hearing the stories first hand of how our small business community have faced the trials and tribulations bought about by the 2019-2020 bush fires, shortly followed by all that is and has been Covid-19, and to see the town pull together to literally rise from the ashes and move forward, I was inspired and challenged to think bigger, be braver, and to “branch” out of my own comfort zone (pun intended).
The initial concept has grown and adapted over the past few months and our mission and vision for Merry & Bright Merimbula is now clear:
* We want to create beautiful and unique Christmas trees and decorative displays (for hire) that delight your senses, lift your spirits and set the tone for your Christmas celebrations.
* We want the Christmas experience for our locals, businesses, tourists and holiday makers to be memorable for all the right reasons.
* We want to buy as many of our decorative pieces from local artists, crafters and makers of all sorts, shapes and sizes to generate income opportunities for our creative types that will benefit our local economy on its journey to recovery and renewal.
* Where we can’t find what we are looking for, we do our best to purchase the materials and supplies and make some of the pieces ourselves, to keep as much money in our towns as possible.
* We want to create new opportunities, customs and traditions that strengthen Merimbula’s holiday and festival feel, and make Christmas in Merimbula a truly awesome experience for all.
We’ll bring the magic, so you can make the memories!
Thank you for your support and for reading all the way to the end!
Kelly & Erin